Sons Of Kemet: Black To The Future
It is **Son Of Kemet* most dynamic project to date, featuring prominent vocalists such as Angel Bat Dawid, poets Moor Mother and Joshua Idehen, and grime artist D Double E
Shabaka Hutchings is always in tune with - if not in front of - the cultural themes swirling around our world: past, present, and future. He digs up forgotten mythologies, decodes sounds of the past, and sets a thesis for the future. This continues with Black To The Future, a politically poignant and musically rich album made to sit on the shelf next to Archie Shepp's Attica Blues or John Coltrane's Alabama.
Musically, Black To The Future is a more expansive affair than previous Sons of Kemet albums. The core group - Theon Cross (tuba), Edward Wakili-Hick (percussion), Tom Skinner (percussion) - is augmented by guests such as British saxophonist Steve Williamson, Chicago bandleader and vocalist Angel Bat Dawid, American poet Moor Mother, legendary British grime MC D Double E, British artist/rapper/spoken word musician Kojey Radical and others. Shabaka Hutchings also adds complex layers of woodwinds throughout the record, which he recorded during Lockdown.
Shabaka Hutchings says, "Black to the Future is a sonic poem to evoke power, memory and healing. It represents a movement that redefines and reaffirms what it means to strive for black power."
-1. Sons of Kemet - Field Negus (Feat. Joshua Idehen)
2. Sons of Kemet - Pick Up Your Burning Cross (Feat. Moor Mother & Angel Bat Dawid)
3. Sons of Kemet - Think of Home
4. Sons of Kemet - Hustle (Feat. Kojey Radical)
5. Sons of Kemet - For the Culture (Feat. D Double E)
6. Sons of Kemet - To Never Forget the Source
7. Sons of Kemet - In Remembrance of Those Fallen
8. Sons of Kemet - Let the Circle Be Unbroken
9. Sons of Kemet - Envision Yourself Levitating
10. Sons of Kemet - Throughout the Madness, Stay Strong
11. Sons of Kemet - Black (Feat. Joshua Idehen)